Skip to main content

POPPYSEED BREAD WITH AN ORANGE GLAZE

For me, one of my favorite things is cooking. There are oh so many reasons for this. 1) I find it a great way to unwind. 2) I find joy in feeding people. 3) The end results are yummier than your average hobby. 4) It’s a great way to learn. 5) And finally, there’s something about cooking that acts almost like a time machine.

Now, let me explain myself. So many memories in my life are tied to food or cooking: holidays, good times with family and friends, and great meals across the country and around the world. Both of my grandmothers were AMAZING cooks and for me, cooking one of their recipes takes me back to their kitchens. Just the smell of yeast makes me yearn for a slice of my Grandma’s Wheat Bread (link to future post) with butter and a slice of Colby jack cheese, and there’s no better pie crust (link to future post) than those made by Ma Ma. Both of my grandmothers have been in Heaven for years, but every time I make one of their recipes, I feel like they are with me.

The first recipe that I want to feature is one from my Grandma’s recipe box. Her name was Eleanor and she was an English teacher. She was a wonderful, vibrant woman who passed away when I was nine. She taught me how to dive in the pool at Howard Johnson’s and so many childhood memories involve me and my cousin Jessica crowded up to the bar in her little galley kitchen that never seemed to have any trouble churning out amazing treats and delectable meals.

Poppyseed Bread with Orange Glaze

Every time I make this Poppyseed Bread with Orange Glaze, it doesn’t last long. In fact, the first time I baked this for my husband, he immediately asked me to make another batch. The secret ingredient that pushes this quick bread over the edge is the almond extract. I’ve decided that any recipe with almond extract is guaranteed to be delicious.

Here’s What You Need:

For the Bread

  • 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 ⅛ cups vegetable oil
  • 1 ½ tsp. salt 
  • 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
  • 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
  • 1 ½ tsp. almond extract
  • 1 ½ tsp. imitation butter flavor
  • 2 ¼ cups sugar
  • 1 ½ cups milk


For the Glaze

  • ¾ - 1 cup sugar
  • ¼ cup orange juice concentrate (thawed)
  • ½ tsp. vanilla 
  • ½ tsp. almond extract
  • ½ tsp. imitation butter flavor


Here’s What You Do:

Bread: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix all ingredients together and beat for 2 minutes.
Divide batter into two standard size loaf pans and bake for 1 hour.
Test with a toothpick to make sure the batter has set in the center of the loaves.
Set on cooling rack and allow to partially cool. Once the loaves have cooled for 15 minutes or so, remove from the loaf pans.

Glaze: While the bread is baking, mix all the glaze ingredients together and whisk until smooth.
Set wire racks over a sheet pan and place still warm (not hot) bread loaves on the rack.
Pour glaze evenly over each loaf and allow glaze to drip down the sides of the bread and onto the sheet pan. The glaze is delicious, so I recommend gathering up the glaze from the sheet pan and pouring it over the top of the bread a second time, to get all the glazy goodness.

Slice with a serrated bread knife and serve.  Do your best to only eat 2-3 slices at a time.  It will be hard, trust me.

 Store in an airtight container (I usually use my covered cake carrier.)



Popular posts from this blog

UNIQUE CHRISTIAN HANDFASTING CEREMONY

One of the ideas behind the creation of this blog is a place to talk about things I like and things I love, and there's no question that the number one thing that I love is my husband. As we approach our first anniversary, I keep thinking back on how perfect our wedding day was. My husband and I planned an intimate and unique wedding ceremony that reflected our personalities and was exactly what we wanted. One of my favorite parts of the ceremony was our very unique unity ceremony. We got so many compliments on this portion, and it certainly left us with a better keepsake than a half burned candle or a bottle of sand. We did a one-of-a-kind Christian Handfasting Ceremony. I really, really wanted to do a handfasting ceremony because I was enamored with symbolism of being bound together forever. It is a tradition that dates back to the Middle Ages in Great Britain and Ireland ¹ and it's where we get the phrase "tying the knot." Historically tied to betro