Skip to main content

UNIQUE CHRISTIAN HANDFASTING CEREMONY



One of the ideas behind the creation of this blog is a place to talk about things I like and things I love, and there's no question that the number one thing that I love is my husband.
As we approach our first anniversary, I keep thinking back on how perfect our wedding day was. My husband and I planned an intimate and unique wedding ceremony that reflected our personalities and was exactly what we wanted. One of my favorite parts of the ceremony was our very unique unity ceremony. We got so many compliments on this portion, and it certainly left us with a better keepsake than a half burned candle or a bottle of sand.

We did a one-of-a-kind Christian Handfasting Ceremony.

I really, really wanted to do a handfasting ceremony because I was enamored with symbolism of being bound together forever. It is a tradition that dates back to the Middle Ages in Great Britain and Ireland¹ and it's where we get the phrase "tying the knot."

Historically tied to betrothal, it was legally binding, and signified that the couple accepted each other as man and wife. It was typically followed soon after by a church wedding.

In the modern era, handfasting is often associated with pagan ceremonies but is also still sometimes used in the church. Typically, the priest will wrap his stole around the couple’s hands and say, “Those whom God has joined together, let not man put asunder." This was done in both Prince William and Prince Harry's weddings.

I did a lot of research and never found quite what I wanted, so I created my own version for our wedding ceremony.  We did this right after we exchanged rings and just before the final blessing and kiss. Not only did it beautifully reflect the symbolism of being bound together in marriage forever, it also reflected our Christian beliefs of being joined as man and wife in union with God. We also took this time to have our families say prayers of blessing over our union. It was a beautiful and moving moment, and probably my favorite part of the ceremony (aside from being announced as husband and wife for the first time!)

The pastor introduced this portion of the ceremony by reading the following:

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 reads, "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

Today, Meggan and Kyle have chosen to braid three strands together into a single cord. Each strand has a significant meaning. One strand represents God and His majesty. One strand represents the groom and his life. And one strand represents the bride and her life. In braiding these three strands together, Meggan and Kyle have demonstrated that their marriage is more than a joining of two lives together. It is a unity with God as well. They have chosen to allow God to be at the center of their marriage, woven into every aspect of it. It was God who taught us to love. By keeping Him at the center of your marriage, His love will continue to bind you together as one throughout your marriage.

After introducing the ceremony to the congregation, we invited our parents to join us at the altar to encircle us with prayer to bless our union while my sister sang "When I Say I Do" by Matthew West.

As my sister continued to sing following the prayers, we braided the cord. I thought about trying to braid it together, passing cords from one to another, but considering how sweetly nervous my husband was, and considering that we didn't do a wedding rehearsal, we went a different direction. Kyle held the braid at the top and I braided all three strands myself to the bottom. This ended up working out perfectly, as I finished the braid right as the song came to an end.

We then transitioned to the actual handfasting. The Pastor began by saying this as he bound our hands with the cord:
As this knot is tied, physically binding your hands together, it symbolizes the binding of your lives one to another. With the entwining of this knot, I tie all the desires, dreams, love, and happiness wished and prayed over your here in this place today. This cord also represents the binding of your vows to each other and before Christ. May this cord draw your hands together in love, never to be used in anger. May the vows that you have spoken never grown bitter in your mouths. Two entwined in love, bound by commitment and fear, sadness and joy, by hardship and victory, anger and reconciliation. Bound in faith, hope and love. Hold tight to one another and to God through both good times and bad, and watch as your strength and love grows through the years to come.

After our hands were bound, my best friend, Ashley read this poem:

"Blessing of the Hands"

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love, that hold yours on your wedding day.

These are the hands that will work alongside yours as you build your future together.

These are the hands that will passionately love you and care for you throughout the years.

These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief torments your mind and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other.

These are the hands that will give you strength when you struggle, and support and encourage you to chase down your dreams.

These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children, and help keep your family together as one.

These are the hands that will, countless times, wipe the tears from your eyes, tears of sorrow and tears of joy.

And lastly, these are the hands that even wrinkled with age, will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch – a touch from these hands.

“Blessing of the Hands” is sometimes attributed to Francis Reilly, an Irish man from County Cavan (1839-1918) in the 1900s². I found another source, citing Rev. Daniel L. Harris, but most often it is cited as Author Unknown.

After the reading, the pastor said his final blessing and announced us as man and wife!  We left our hands bound as we shared our first kiss and through the recessional. It was purposefully tied loose enough that we could just slip our hands out without undoing the knot.  We now have the tied knot preserved as a reminder of being bound together as man and wife. How great is that?

Please share this post so others can include this unique and memorable unity ceremony as a part of their weddings.

Popular posts from this blog

POPPYSEED BREAD WITH AN ORANGE GLAZE

For me, one of my favorite things is cooking. There are oh so many reasons for this. 1) I find it a great way to unwind. 2) I find joy in feeding people. 3) The end results are yummier than your average hobby. 4) It’s a great way to learn. 5) And finally, there’s something about cooking that acts almost like a time machine. Now, let me explain myself. So many memories in my life are tied to food or cooking: holidays, good times with family and friends, and great meals across the country and around the world. Both of my grandmothers were AMAZING cooks and for me, cooking one of their recipes takes me back to their kitchens. Just the smell of yeast makes me yearn for a slice of my Grandma’s Wheat Bread (link to future post) with butter and a slice of Colby jack cheese, and there’s no better pie crust (link to future post) than those made by Ma Ma. Both of my grandmothers have been in Heaven for years, but every time I make one of their recipes, I feel like they are with me. The fir